That ain’t no Monarch: meet these OTHER caterpillars that feed on milkweed

More than any other, the caterpillars of Monarch butterflies are most closely associated with eating milkweed–anything in the Asclepias family. With their distinctive black, white and gold pin-striped suits and expressive dark tentacles reaching out into the universe, that’s no surprise.

Monarch caterpillar on milkweed
Monarch butterfly caterpillar on milkweed, its host plant. Photo by Monika Maeckle

They’re endearing, ubiquitous, easy to identify and we have a special relationship with them.

But there’s a at least three other caterpillars that eat milkweed for breakfast, lunch and dinner.

Last week I noticed this fellow noshing on a pot of Swamp milkweed, Asclepias incarnata.

Garden striped caterpillar
That ain’t no Monarch. It’s a Striped garden caterpillar. Photo by Monika Maeckle

My first thought: “That ain’t no Monarch.”

Correct. It’s the Striped garden caterpillar, Trichordestra legitimata, which feasts not only on milkweed but other common garden greens–clover, goldenrod, yarrow, grasses and others. The Striped garden caterpillar turns into the rather nondescript Striped garden caterpillar moth, a grey, smallish creature with little black diamonds on his back. Check out these photos on Bugguide.net.

Here’s a better picture of the caterpillar, via Molly Jacobson.

Garden striped moth caterpillar
Molly Jacobson found this Striped  garden caterpillar crossing a path and resting on a dead leaf. Photo by Molly Jacobson

Dr. David L. Wagner, author of the useful Caterpillars of Eastern North America, describes the milkweed feeder on page 415 of his seminal guidebook as a “handsome brown and yellow striped caterpillar.” He recommends looking for them in grass seed heads but adds that he often finds them on the flowers of Goldenrod in the fall.

Perhaps even more handsome is the fluffy Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillar, Eucaetes Egle. Like so many other insects that use milkweed as their primary food, this creature expresses the cardiac glycosides found in the latex of the milkweed plants with orange and black coloring.

This photo of at late instar Euchaetes Egle was taken at 12:17pm on October 20, 2007 in Glen Rose, TX. The caterpillar was spotted walking across a hiking trail in a wooded area.
This Tussock moth caterpillar was spotted in Glen Rose, Texas in 2007 walking across a hiking trail in a wooded area.  Photo by J. Scott Kelley  via Wikipedia.

The adult form of this moth, below, also displays orange and black on its body, as it peeks through the wings to alert predators–WARNING: I don’t taste good!

Dr. Wagner’s description of the interesting larvae: “densely hairy caterpillar with numerous black, orange (or yellow) and white tufts and lashes.”  Yes, “lashes.”

That’s what these hairy protrusions look like–almost colorful bristles on a soft toothbrush extending from the caterpillars body. According to Wagner, the species occurs in Texas and the Southwest, but I have never seen one.  Would love to, though.

Euchaetes_eglePCCA20060825-6935B
Milkweed Tussock Moth, photo by Patrick Coin via Wikipedia.

A third milkweed fan, Cycnia inopinatus, also makes appearances now and then. Kip Kiphart, a trainer for Monarch Larvae Monitoring Project (MLMP) and volunteer at Cibolo Nature Center in Boerne, Texas, reports that the Cycnia pictured below was found in 2003 by Myrna Langford while checking milkweed on Laurel’s Ranch near Comfort, Texas.  The Cyncia is considered a first for the area.

UnkCaterpillar (1)
Cyncia inopinatus caterpillar. Another milkweed feeder. Photo by Kip Kiphart

Kiphart says Langford brought the caterpillar to a meeting, asking for help in identifying it. “Nobody had any idea what it was. I took it home, took photos, sent them to a number of people and nobody knew what it was,” said Kiphart. Eventually the Cyncia was identified.

It turns into the Unexpected Cyncia moth and feeds exclusively on milkweed. You can see the same orange-and-black expression of other milkweed consumers in the belly of the beast, below. The University of Minnesota, which oversees the MLMP, is seeking citizen science observations and documentation of the moth, which is considered rare and of conservation concern.
DSCN0003 (1)

Cynic
Cyncia adult moth. Photos by Kip Kiphart

Judging from conversations with folks who work and play a lot with milkweed raising caterpillars and butterflies, these other milkweed eaters are not all that common.

Have you seen any of these other milkweed feeders?  Let us know.

Related posts:

Like what you’re reading? Don’t miss a single post from the Texas Butterfly Ranch. Sign up for email delivery, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter, @monikam. Like what you’re reading? Don’t miss a single post from the Texas Butterfly Ranch. Sign up for email delivery, like us on Facebook, or follow us on Twitter, @monikam.

81 Responses

1. David Lowell

I live in Maine and have 15 Tussock Moth caterpillars on 4 Milkweed stalks just munching away on the leaves.

• Doris

We live in southwest Missouri, and I have had tussock moth caterpillars on my milkweed for some time now. Since I had practically no Monarchs this year, I am just letting them eat the milkweed. They are sort of pretty.

2. L

We have been raising Monarchs indoors for several years in the Southern Tier of NY state. The monarchs sure are a hungry bunch so we have to keep getting fresh leaves from our milkweed.

The question we have is how to keep snails from gathering on the milkweed? Does anyone have any ideas on this problem?

I keep trying to teach the snails to fly by flicking them of with my finger.

3. Cynthy Johnson

I live in Minnesota, and my Asclepius Tuberosa milkweed plants are full of fluffy Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars right now. There were very few Monarch caterpillars on my milkweed this summer, and sadly, far less monarchs than last year flying around. Last year there were so many monarchs that for several weeks that I drove v-e-r-y slowly on the country roads to try to avoid hitting them. It was amazing! I am not sure what happened this year, except for our extremely late spring. I don’t think I can blame the Tussocks, because they have only appeared this week.

• Carol

In southern georgian bay, ontario we have a bumper crop of monarchs and they are flying everywhere right now. Totally trying to avoid during our drives. We have also had a few of the fluffy milkweed tussocks eating on our milkweed as we speak. I haven’t seen these before. Thanks to this site for identifying them.

• JANICE ALLRED

Here in the northeastern corner of Illinois I am for the very first time seeing several of the Tussock moth caterpillars on my milkweed plants. Thank you for helping me identify them. Sadly, i do not have as many Monarch caterpillars as last year.

4. Judy

I live in Rockland County, New York & planted milkweed 5 or 6 years ago. This year is the first year we have seen Monarch caterpillars o our plants. Today, I also just saw 2 Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars. Never saw anything like it before!

5. daniel waltz

The milkweed tossock moth caterpillars have striped our milkweeds in the back yard for the rest of the year in Epping,NH 8/25/2019. 7 or 8 of those little guys striped em all in about 2 weeks.

6. Bridget Rogers

I live on Cape Cod in MA, we raised several Monarchs and also now have some inside. I went to cut down the milkweed plants in the garden and I found a Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillar eating the leaves 🙂 Have never seen one before, its really cool looking 🙂

• Christina Shaffer

We spotted several of the Tussock moth caterpillars on some milkweed today here in Michigan!

• KarenSiska

Im in ohio near Cleveland the last few days i have been seeing this fluffly caterpillar on milkweed. Glad to have it identfied!! Says its native to texas and southwest…but here it is in ohio!…. We have alot of problems with a flying milkweed (orange and black also) that left unchecked lays eggs and the young destroy the milkweed havent seen many this year till today which i smashed we had a very cold windy week here with wind chills of – 70. Didnt have many Japanese beetles this year either,a blessing think cold helped but lost several butterfly bushes. We had monarch caterpillars last summer.

• Avalon

I’ve had quite a few here in Michigan as well

7. Gaye Hartwig

We have 3 or 4 milkweed tussock catepillars. They are really stripping the milkweed in our lawn. I am in Montague, New ersey. It doesn’t sound like they are endangered, but since they are native, I will not destroy them. We have been saving and raising mammoths; we are up to 24 this year and we have to harvest milkweed leaves from nearby fields. This is our 3rd summer. The first year we raised 4.

• Megan Haggerty

I live in Holland, MI. Last week I experienced a Tussock moth caterpillar, almost land right on my head, just passed my face, I looked down and thought that looks dangerous so I google lens searched this fluffy bugger numerous times because I had never seen one like this before….crazy to me! I have plenty of up close photos to share.

8. arlen k

the tussock caterpillar is a bad one to have in your milkweed, strips the leaves in no time and moves to another plant, they eat in groups, and when disturbed, they curl and drop faster than you can catch them. I have been using a bucket of water with blue dawn dish soap to get rid of them. my milkweed is for the monarchs. today I found a large monarch caterpillar almost ready to go into its chrysalis (sp?) dead, don’t know what killed it, but was sad to see, but on the bright side found 8 other caterpillars in so mn. so some good

• Chris J

I seen 2 Milkweed plant filled on underside of with those tussock caterpillars here in Western Wi. 2nd one i seen i removed it and did my best to crush it on blacktop. I’ve stopped many places on road sides and very few monarch catapillars. If left a day or two, i see they are gone and big holes in leaves next time. Red bugs/ants, other pests noted also. I had went to butterfly class and the speaker had raised over 200 1 yr. So i’m rescuing 27 so far!!

• Penny Kettler

I am in Stillwater MN and have found many milkweed Tussock on my orange butterfly bushes. Not knowing what they were, I decided to cut off the stems and toss them onto our burn pile. My butterfly bushes are covered with monarch caterpillars and I want them to thrive.

• Heather

We have the Tussock here in PA as well. I let them live. Monarchs are beautiful without a doubt and I love seeing them but why kill something just because it isn’t as pretty.

9. Sheri

Here in NW lower Michigan, we are OVERRUN with tussock moth caterpillars this year! I’ve only seen 2 monarch caterpillars so far & they seem to have disappeared… Sadly, all our milkweeds are being stripped at a record pace….

10. phyllis

I live in Northern NJ and have been seeing tons of Tussock Moth caterpillars on our local milkweed plants. We have become a monarch butterfly way station and apparently the town council (Livingston, NJ) is involved in saving the monarchs too. So far this summer we’ve seen yellow swallowtails, black swallowtails, monarchs, viceroys, and more. This year we have more than we’ve had in years.

• Marie and Terry

We went out citizen scientist-ing today, looking for milkweed and evidence of monarch butterflies and/or eggs and caterpillars here in Rosemount, MN. It was our first time looking/researching for the monarch – which we love. Even on our first outing, we learned quite a bit. So we came home armed with lots of photos and started searching the internet. What we saw was a huge group of Tussock Moth caterpillars! We saw 9 monarch butterflies flying around during our walk, and lots of milkweed (although not as much as we would have guessed) but a small area that had this huge group/crop of these moths.

11. Doris Brookes

I have at least 40 milkweed plants in various places on our 94 acres in the Missouri Ozarks, and this year I have only seen 1 Monarch butterfly. In years past there have been lots of them, although not so much last year. There used to be so many I raised some of the caterpillars in my butterfly box. Sure miss them. This morning I saw so many Tussock Moth caterpillars on one stem of the milkweed that they had stripped at least 4 of the bottom leaves, leaving them looking like lace. There were probably 30 or more of the Tussock Moths caterpillars, and they were still very small. I also have butterfly bush, butterfly weed, tall Garden Phlox, etc for the bees and butterflies. Sure miss the Monarchs.

• Dani Crabb

We are in Garden City, Missouri and I am shocked that I don’t have an aquarium full of monarch caterpillars, eggs and chrysalis’ I haven’t seen one caterpillar yet on my milkweed. We have over 60 plants. This time last year I was releasing by the dozens.

• Nancy lornson

I have tussock moths in little chute wi. They strip the milkweed and r very aggressive.

• RMolloy

At first I didn’t know what tussock moth caterpillars were. I decided to leave them alone – bad idea. They stripped all of my swamp milkweed in 2 days. So I had to squish them. A few more found the common milkweed — squish. Tussock moth caterpillars denude trees and bushes as well as milkweed.

My common milkweed all died of the yellows. At this time I only have a few regrown swamp milkweed and a few tiny pop up common milkweeds and the butterflies are continually laying eggs on them. This year is a wash. Next year, I’ll mow down at least half of my common milkweed so it isn’t so densely packed. Leave lots of space for air circulation. I’ll pinch it back so it doesn’t get floppy. I’ll discard any leaves with eggs of tussock moths and milkweed bugs. I’m sorry about the milkweed bugs and tussock moths but there were far too many of them and they ate too much of whatever milkweed wasn’t killed. Far, far too many milkweed bugs and milkweed beetles. If I still had all my swamp and common milkweed I’d have tons of caterpillars now through mid September.

• Phyllis

Plant butterfly weed the monarchs love it.

12. Mackenzie

I found a black caterpillar It looked like the second picture on the top of the website, what type is it?

13. Trevor Mills

I live in north central Kentucky (Meade county), Just west of Louisville. I bought an Asclepias Incarnata plant last spring. It has what I am pretty sure are Cyncia moth larvae on it. Not sure if it is a significant find, but allows for documentation.

14. Tina M

I live in Central Texas and just saw one of the Tussock Moth caterpillar on one of our Texas Milkweeds yesterday. We live between Georgetown and Florence.

15. Adele Pastor

Have let lots of milkweed grow over the years in central Vermont and get a crop of tussock caterpillars every Fall. They seem to take advantage of the Monarch’s completing their cycle & are more numerous then but they are around when the Monarch caterpillars are still feeding. Have a problem every Fall figuring out the best time to start cleaning up the old milkweeds while not interfering with anyone’s dining. If you have any hints I’d appreciate it.

16. Allan Robinson

Hi folks
    I have you all beat, I have them in Canada in eastern province of New Brunswick in an area called Nackawick. I was really surprised to find 5 to 6 Tussock moth eating away on my milkweed. Man they are suppose to be in Southern states.
    I think they got lost.

17. Robert Petrofsky

While looking at the monarch caterpillars i saw a milkweed leaf half Covered with I think Tussuck .caterpillars. I live in northern Vermont and do not recall seeing it before.

18. L Wille

We have found three catapillars on the milkweed that are not Monarchs. They have stripes like the Monarch, but the bottom of them are orange. They do curl up into a circle when disturbed. We are wondering what do they grow up into, as we have not found any information on these.

• Gillian

This site is wonderful, I now know it is the Tuscan moth caterpillars, skeletiz my many milkweed around our yard in Worcester County, Massachusetts. Hoped for Monarch butterflys, but I say the greedy Tuscany spoil Monarchs chances, may be reason for decline in numbers. Caught picture at night, masses of them.
      Gillian, Warren MA., have pictures if can send?

19. Elaine

Thanks for info on cycnia. I’m in KS I think this is what the hundred+ were that were eating my milkweed. My monarch caterpillars kept disappearing, so bringing them in next year. Od share pic, but see no way to do that. PS…have furry white caterpillars eating milkweed also

• Chris J

i have a picture of the little white furries along with the tussock ones…. Western Wi area. I’m thinking they are the “babies” growing into the more colorful tussock? or females? Creepy creatures!!

20. Brenda DeLaTorre

We just found Milkweed tussock moth caterpillars munching on my neighbor’s milkweed. No Monarchs though.

21. Cheryl Breen

We found a tussock caterpillar in Northern Ohio. We have lots of Monarchs, too.

22. Ruthie

Tussock moth caterpillars feasting on my milkweed. Central NJ. Cute little things but not the monarchs I wanted.

23. Jennan

I’m in Kansas and I have seen the Cyncia moth but didn’t know anything about them. This year I have seen the caterpillars.

Thanks for the pictures you were the only one I could find to identify them with.

24. Kazzellin Empanger

I found three Tussock Moth caterpillars munching on my milkweed when I weeded the garden on Thursday (8/01/18). I’m in Minneapolis, MN. Have yet to see any Monarch caterpillars, though I’ve seen a few butterflies flitting about.

25. Kandi S. Petry

I found a large number (13+) of what I think are Tussock moth caterpillars clustered together on one leaf of a milkweed plant in my flowerbed. I took a pic if you would like to see and help me confirm?

26. Alice Ely

I found a larva on my milkweed – definitely not a monarch, I raise them. This one was very small, maybe a third of an inch total, nondescript color, shaped with a little bit of a flare around the head, and when I tried to move it, it reared up at me as if to threaten me and writhed a lot more than the monarchs do.

I looked up early instars of the tussock moth but they seem to have their ‘quills’ even when very small.

Any theories? it was on A. curassavica, I am in Connecticut.

27. Rachel

I found an unexpected cycnia on swamp milkweed this year, and I’ve also found 3 striped garden caterpillars. I also found something else which I haven’t identified yet. I am in Cincinnati OH and raised 35 monarchs this year, so I am surprised I have yet to see a milkweed tussock moth caterpillar. Maybe next year!

28. Lisa Eaton

I was hoping to see some monarch caterpillars this year and was very excited to see that my milkweed plant had been stripped…but what I found under a bottom leaf was not what I expected! A large bottom leaf was covered in Tussock moth caterpillars! Thank you for your website to help identify them. I’m really hoping they leave some of the milkweed so I can see at least one monarch caterpillar this year!
    Lisa in Columbia, Missouri

29. Maryann Farrell

Hi, can anyone identify this little caterpillar? It’s on my milkweed. I moved it next door to a coneflower, but he came right back to the milkweed. I wanted to see how badly he wanted the milkweed. That’s why I moved it a few inches over to the other plant.
    I’m in New Jersey

• Maryann Farrell

I forgot to add photo
      Can anyone tell me how to add photo

30. Keith Ohlhausen

I have found a little caterpillar on my milkweed I have not been able to identify. Have a really good close up picture of it would like to share but can’t post here. It’s about 3/8″ long, green with a stripe down it’s back which is black along the edges and kind of a peach to white interior. Any ideas?

31. Linda Rippert

A fellow master gardener and Entomology specialist had the orange and black Tussock moth caterpillars on her milkweed recently. She said they were so numerous the milkweed looked black all over! She saved me a few of the cats to raise, and some have already made a cocoon, some are still eating. They are pretty, and although I have only handled them a brief once or twice, no stinging or numbness occurred. It will be fun to see the moths.
    Our Ento. group has several members who are enjoying raising as many different kinds of butterflies and moths. I recently had the pleasure of raising a number of Polyphemus moth cats and some IO moth cats. The IO moth cats have lots of stinging points on them, and I only got stung in a couple of spots on a couple of knuckles while I was caring for them. I put ice on it, and it did not last long.
    Isn’t it fun to share our experiences and encourage others to learn more about nature?
    Some of us are planning a trip to the Rio Grande Valley of Texas in late October to visit all the butterfly nature centers down there, including the National Butterfly Center in Mission, TX, supported by the North American Butterfly Association. Many many butterflies down there including some that come across the Rio Grande River into the South Texas region, so we always come away from our trip with more to add to our life list of butterflies……lots of birds too.
    Sorry this is so long MM……….
    Unfortunately the Ntl. Butt. Center is looking for backers who can donate to their fight over the planned addition of more miles blocking access to our side for the native animals that have lived down there for so very long. It is scheduled to run three miles through the Santa Ana National Wildlife Refuge in Pharr, which will possibly cause the Refuge to close due to the amount of land it takes and all the equipment and supplies to build the fence. The Refuge opened in 1943, and as I was born and raised in that part of Texas, it makes me want to cry over the lack of care our leaders have over the natural environment of our country!

• Monika Maeckle

Yes, very aware of the situation on the border. Just wrote about it here. Take a look: https://texasbutterflyranch.com/2017/07/25/border-wall-at-national-butterfly-center-violates-property-rights-and-worse/
      Thanks for reading and writing. –MM

• Linda Rippert

Thanks for letting me vent about the fence situation down in the Valley MM. I’m pretty hot about it!

• Kathryn King

What can I do to help, while living in Conn.?
          Who do I write to?

• Linda Rippert

Write to the President, your senators and congress members, and express yourself to your friends and neighbors to help more people get involved. Pray about it in your daily life. Thank the Lord for supporting our efforts regarding this matter. I do not think fences make for good neighbors!
            Thanks for your comments.

32. Jessica

I live in Wisconsin and just found more than a dozen Tussock Moth on my milkweed. Several if them all feeding on the same leaf. I’ve never seen them before! Beautiful, but definitely a surprise.

33. Sondra Cabell

I have another caterpillar that was eating on my swamp milkweed in Benton County IA and have been trying to ID it. It was a plain blonde fuzzy caterpillar – definatly not a tussock moth – and it was just one individual. I would like to attach an image if you reply to my email.

34. Kennedy

I live in Kentucky and I see the ttussock moth caterpillar all of the time they are everywhere at my house.

35. Janet N. Bowersox

question: I went out to my goat hut this evening, and found a female Monarch on the side of the hut. It’s chrysalis was just above it, and I am going to “assume” that it just emerged today. Because it’s to be in the 40’s tonight and down in the 30’s tomorrow night, I brought it in for the night and put in a butterfly house with nectar in gatorade lids with cotton balls. Will it be ok to let it out tomorrow and hope it gets somewhere warmer by tomorrow evening? Help !!!!

36. deb

I found a tussock moth caterpillar on my milkweed this morning when I went to check on my monarch caterpillar. I live near Glen Rose TX. I do not know how to attach picture here. I appreciate your website in helping me identify. Monarch caterpillar is not there, it was too little to go to chrysalis. Queen butterflies will also use milkweed as hosts. Their caterpillar is similar to monarch, but with extra black “horns”. I need to plant more milkweed, my plants have been bare of leaves and blooms for all the caterpillar activity!

37. Sandy Knecht

The article didn’t mention the Queen Butterfly (often misidentified as a Monarch), that also host on Milkweed plants.

38. Janet

My husband and I found a caterpillar eating on milk weed today that we have never seen before. I have been searching on the internet to find what kind it is and I have not found out what it is. It’s mainly all black and fuzzy, but does look to have some orange stripes in between the black fuzzy. It’s eating the milk weed leaves. Anyone know what this might be? We live in North Central Wisconsin.

• Monika Maeckle

Probably the Milkweed tussock moth. They’re adorable! –MM

39. Bernice

We see tussock moths yearly on the milkweed. They can strip a milkweed leaf. I also see hummingbird moths, a variety of wasps and bees, assassin bugs, praying mantis and other moths and butterflies.

• DORLIS GROTE

My milkweed in my yard did not do well this year because of the freaky weather so I did not have many butterflies. I plan to plant more “butterfly” plants next year to make up for millkweed not being there.

40. Deb

Approximately how big are the Cyncia moths? I was digging weeds – leaving the milkweed – and there was a white moth flitting around. I noticed markings but didn’t pay that much attention to what they were.

41. Garden Experiments

Great article! A good reminder to us gardeners that there are many moths and butterflies that our plants can play host to – not just monarchs.
    That tussock moth caterpillar is a cutie!

42. Linda Rippert

Hi there,
    You did not mention the Queen caterpillars…..I have had a couple of them in my yard which is unusual. They left several eggs on milkweeds, and I have enjoyed raising them. They seem to tend to go into the chrysalis very early and don’t wait to get really big before they do it!

43. Taylor Maddux

Thanks for this bit of information. Though the caterpillars are certainly eye-catching, the moths, too, are attractive in their way.

44. Jill

Hi, I am in Wisconsin nd found a cluster of tiny moths. Very light yellow with a black dot on one end. They gave me the creeps. my neighbor and I split the group and are watching them grow. We have a slim yr. for Monarchs. the tiny worms now have black and yellow hairs about 1/4″ long. They eat milkweed leaves. When my neighbor brushed their backs with her finger, she said later her finger was a tad numb We figured that might be their defense against ants and the like.

45. Kylee Baumle

We see Tussock moth caterpillars on milkweed all the time here in Ohio. I’ve not seen the other two on it though.

46. Linda Francis

Great Article! It is good for growers of milkweed to know who else to expect!

47. Nan

I am in Cincinnati, OH and I see the milkweed tussock moth caterpillar on an annual basis. This has actually been a banner year for them as they are stripping my various kinds of milkweed bare. Their eggs are always laid in clusters so it is not uncommon to so 50-100 of these at once. I refer to them as Fuller Brush or pipe cleaner cats. They are cute! But I’d rather have monarch cats. Only 4 so far this year. Last year- over 300. Hoping August gets better.

48. Lin

I had the Milkweed Tussock Moth caterpillars on my tropical milkweed (Asclepias curassavica) here in east Texas – I stopped in my tracks when I saw them as they were more colorful than the flowers!

• Monika Maeckle

Go ahead, rub it in! Jealous. –MM. 😏

• S.wickh

I have these in my milkweed in Indiana! Didn’t know anything else ate milkweeds!

• Susan Lehmann

We have a family of at least a couple of dozen Tossuck Moth caterpillars on a native milkweed plant in our yard on Long Island, N. Y.

• Debbie Zerbinopoulos

Hi Susan,
        I was searching the milkweed in my garden for Monarch larva and found over 30 Tussuck Moth caterpillars on the underneath of 1 or 2 leaves. So interesting as I had never seen this before. I hv them in my butterfly enclosure now and plan to release when mature. Will photograph stages.

49. DORLIS GROTE

I like to PIN these articles to my butterfly board. How can I pin them?

50. Vernon Berger

Great visual and educational information. Thanks

51. Janet Bowersox

Thank you so much for the information regarding other Milkweed caterpillars. Although we are way to north to see them, they certainly are beautiful!

• Kathryn King

I have photos of a Cyncia moth I found during summer of 2016. This was in Killingworth, Connecticut. I would attach them if I knew how, sorry, they’re on my phone. So beautiful, what a treat!